The guiding spirits of the trust have been late Mr. H.K. Sharma; Retd. Addl. Industrial Advisor, D.G.T.D., Government of India and late Mrs. Mohini Sharma who along with Late Mr. G.C. Choudhry of Bajaj Auto Ltd. were the founders of the Trust.
The activities of RAHAT are led by Dr. Sujatha D. Sharma, Chairperson and Dr. Avdesh Sharma, Managing Trustee – both distinguished and well-known personalities in the field of mental health.
Dr. Sujatha D. Sharma,
M. Phil. (Gold medalist), & Ph.D. (Clinical Psychology from NIMHANS, Bangalore), Sujatha D. Sharma, M.Phil., Ph.D., is a practicing Consultant Clinical Psychologist in New Delhi and has been working with all age groups, with psychological distress and emotional well-being issues for the last three decades. She has a multifaceted background as clinician, psychotherapist, researcher, teacher and trainer. Her consulting and training specialties include training workshops for promoting wellness behavior, stress management, life skills for children and parenting; handling relationships, public education, awareness, trauma counseling and spiritual counseling.
Body of Work
- TV Series (Script): Mindwatch and Mann Ki Baat, for ‘Doordarshan’ channel
- Past Consultant: National Institute of Ageing, USA and UNICEF, India
- Visiting Faculty: National Institute of Public Co-operation and Child Development (NIPCCD) and National Institute for Social Defence (NISD).
- Co-Author of books: ‘Distress to Destress’ and ‘Couples in Harmony’
- Trustee: RAHAT Charitable Trust (A Mental Health NGO)
- Member, Governing Counsel: Richmond Fellowship Society of India (Delhi)
- Awards: T.P. Jhunjhunwala Foundation’s 24th National Excellence Award for Medicine (2014); C.S. Kang Oration Award (Indian Association of Clinical Psychologists – 2016) and
Health Oscar of India, 2017
Dr. Avdesh Sharma
M.D., D.P.M., is a Consultant Well-Being Psychiatrist with over 30 years of practice in Delhi. He has been the International Lead on Public Education for the World Psychiatric Association (WPA); Co-Chair of the WPA’S Section on Spirituality & Mental Health; Chair of the Public Education & Awareness Committee of Indian Psychiatric Society; International Distinguished Fellow of American Psychiatric Association; Past President of Indian Association of Private Psychiatry, Indian Psychiatric Society (N.Z.) and Delhi Psychiatric Society and also the Founder, Mind Vision Enterprises and Managing Trustee, RAHAT Charitable Medical Research Trust.
Body of Work
- Television Series: Mann Ki Baat, Mindwatch, Mind Your Mind, Andhi Galiyan etc. for ‘Doordarhan’ Channel; Mind Matters and Zindagi Bane Aasan for ‘Peace of Mind’ channel.
- Workshops on: Stress, Self and Mind Management
- Over 1000 presentations on: Stress, Spirituality and Mind Body Connection
- Co- Author of books: “Distress to De-Stress” and “Couples in Harmony”
- Awards: Gem of India & Rashtriya Gaurav Awards; T.P. Jhunjhunwala Foundation’s 24th National Excellence Award for Medicine 2014 and Health Oscar of India, 2017.
The present trustees are:
- Dr. Sujatha D. Sharma (Consultant Clinical Psychologist),
- Dr. Avdesh Sharma (Consultant Psychiatrist) and
- Dr. Manasi Sharma (Consultant to UNICEF for Child & Adolescent Mental Health).
- Mrs. Anuradha Sachdeva (Interior Designer & Artist);
Our work is supported by the indefatigable support of our administrative staff –
- Mr. Rajeev Verma in the Secretariat,
- Ms. Poonam Verma in the Computer section,
- Mr. Girish Joshi in Accounts,
- Mr. Anil Mandal, Ranjan Joshi & Bache Singh as office staff and
- Mr. Rakesh Gill in transport.
There is a core group of committed professionals from different fields, volunteers and donors to help with different programs.